Team members: Rozanne Raath, Maryna Wessels Physiotherapy, Christine Wall Biokinetics http://www.marynawessels.co.za
We are a group, passionate about sport, that uses a Team approach when working with athletes. Sport specific mental coaching, sport specific rehabilitaion, sport specific excercises. We are based in Bloemfontein, but will travel according to your needs.
The American Psychological Association defines sport psychology as “the study of the psychological and mental factors that influence and are influenced by participation and performance in sport, exercise, and physical activity, and the application of the knowledge gained through this study to everyday settings.” Sport psychology Researcher Robin S. Vealey has concluded that the weight of evidence suggests that sport psychology techniques are effective, according to Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise.
Sports psychologists/mental coach work with both elite and recreational athletes, individuals and teams, parents and coaches; areas that a sport psychologist/mental coach can help with could include the following:
1. Mental skills training
•Imagery and Visualization
•Relaxation and Emotional Control
•Self-Talk and Cognitive Control
•Concentration and Focus
•Pre-competition routines and preparation
•The Flow experience – Being in ‘the zone’
•Dealing with success and failure
2. Mental Toughness
> Helping athletes through injury and rehabilitation
> Career advice and coping with retirement or non-selection
> Team unity, cohesion and communication
3. Clinical issues (that would be referred to a Clinical Psychologist)such as:
• Eating Disorders
• Relationship issues
• Sleeping problems
4. Dealing with burn out
5. Maintaining a balance in sport and life
Contact us to be referred to a professional who can address your specific need.
Other options for individuals and groups are:
1. Let us do an introduction and motivational workshop for the parents and coaches at your club, school or union.
2. Get your athletes, coaches and parents together for the Team Approach sports workshops (focussing on specific themes) presented by a life coach, biokineticist and physiotherapist.
3. Refer your athletes for individual sessions with the above professionals.